Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Post 6 Materials

So I need to tell you story in order to tell you a story.

For a number of years I have been shocked and appalled by the amount of material that is used for and disposed of as packing material. So for years I have been reusing packing materials as useful items around the house. Case in point I am currently using two long boxes that my shelves came in cross two boxes from new egg as a low coffee table that has been working quite well for over 3 months now. So I like using things that normally get thrown away.

So I told you that story, to tell you this story. I want to use what are generally considered disposable items to create my piece. To encourage others to think about their world in a non concrete way, and show that art can not only be low cost, but thrown away every day.

1 comment:

  1. I like the sentiment, and I've seen it work on a number of installations to great effect (check out Helen Escobedo http://www.helen-escobedo.com/).

    That said, given precision of your ideas for the kinetic elements, I'd recommend stronger, more clean materials; think durability. As to what your pulley system interacts with: this is where I think recycled materials could be great.

    Of course, to play devils advocate: "found" mechanical parts from dumps could work quite well, too.

    ReplyDelete