Thursday, March 3, 2011

Installation Origins Final Part 2

Hello! and Welcome to the second part of my Final Installation Post.
In this one I will discuss my process and the goal of my piece.

   Originally I wanted create a piece on digitization. I realize that it has become so ubiquitous in modernity that it occurs all around us without notice. I mean how many stores do you walk into to be greeted by a screen showing your image from the security cameras. They reproduce a copy of your image, but not perfect duplicate. Luckily for us, imagine a world where digital copies were indistinguishable from their originals? Something is inherently lost when converting from analog to digital.
  Now I personally am acutely aware of this loss having done far too many hours editing and mastering audio for short films and live theatre. The difference between an LP and its MP3 doppelganger  is stagering. Harmonies, subtleties, sometimes entire instruments disappear from the piece. I hate to be an alarmist, but it really is as if it is missing its soul. But in reality it means, Symphonies will always sound better than recordings of them.
  However it planted a seed thought in my mind, I wonder how many people interacting with digital devices everyday consider the inherent lack of humanity in communications through bi-nary code.

Thus in a effort to highlight the inherent flaws when translating analog to digital, I wanted to visualize in a kinetic sculpture an analog input being output as a stepped digital wave.

Beyond that it seemed a bit cold and mechanical, when I wanted my piece to inviting and engaging. So I added a bit of whimsy. I couldn't resist a pun on waves, so I added an aquatic creature to the waves being created.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment